Here, we’re taking a look back at the five biggest winning streaks in Premier League history, as well as taking a look at what the record for the longest unbeaten run in England’s top tier is.
Who did these seemingly impenetrable teams brush aside in their paths? Who ended the longest winning run the league has ever seen? And what happened next to these sides? Let’s find out:
What is the Longest Premier League Winning Streak?
Most Consecutive Premier League Wins
Let’s take a closer look at the five longest winning runs in Premier League history:
=1) Manchester City (August – December 2017) – 18 wins
Who Did They Beat?
|August 26, 2017||Bournemouth 1-2 Man City|
|September 9, 2017||Man City 5-0 Liverpool|
|September 16, 2017||Watford 0-6 Man City|
|September 23, 2017||Man City 5-0 Crystal Palace|
|September 30, 2017||Chelsea 0-1 Man City|
|October 14, 2017||Man City 7-2 Stoke|
|October 21, 2017||Man City 3-0 Burnley|
|October 28, 2017||West Brom 2-3 Man City|
|November 5, 2017||Man City 3-1 Arsenal|
|November 18, 2017||Leicester 0-2 Man City|
|November 26, 2017||Huddersfield 1-2 Man City|
|November 29, 2017||Man City 2-1 Southampton|
|December 3, 2017||Man City 2-1 West Ham|
|December 10, 2017||Man Utd 1-2 Man City|
|December 13, 2017||Swansea 0-4 Man City|
|December 16, 2017||Man City 4-1 Tottenham|
|December 23, 2017||Man City 4-0 Bournemouth|
|December 27, 2017||Newcastle 0-1 Man City|
After a disappointing, trophyless first season in England for Pep Guardiola, his second term in charge of Manchester City was really when the spark ignited.
Bolstered by summer signings like Kyle Walker, Bernardo Silva and Ederson Moraes, City had their league virtually sewn up by the time the 2017-18 season reached its halfway point.
A 1-1 home draw with Everton in their second game was their only early blot – what followed was an extraordinary run of 18 successive league wins, including thrashings of Liverpool, Watford, Crystal Palace and Stoke, and crucial victories over Manchester United and Chelsea.
By the time they won their 18th, a 1-0 win at Newcastle secured by their 61st league goal of the season, City were already an enormous 15 points clear of United in second.
It remains tied for the longest winning streak in Premier League history.
Who Ended the Run?
Roy Hodgson’s Palace, who held City to a 0-0 draw at Selhurst Park on New Year’s Eve in 2017.
Palace, who were 17th at the time and began the season with seven straight defeats without scoring, even had an injury-time penalty from midfielder Luka Milivojevic saved by Ederson. But hey, you can’t really be greedy in those circumstances.
What Happened Next?
Soon after that Palace draw, City’s unbeaten run ended, losing 4-3 to Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool, who also knocked them out of the Champions League in the quarter-final stage that year.
But they would lose only once more in the league that season, a 3-2 home defeat to United in April when they were 2-0 up at half-time in a game that, if they won, would have sealed the title.
But seal it they did a week later, and Gabriel Jesus’ last-minute winner at Southampton on the final day meant the City team of 2017-18 became the first in Premier League history to reach 100 points.
=1) Liverpool (October 2019 – February 2020) – 18 wins
Who Did They Beat?
|October 27, 2019||Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham|
|November 2, 2019||Aston Villa 1-2 Liverpool|
|November 10, 2019||Liverpool 3-1 Man City|
|November 23, 2019||Crystal Palace 1-2 Liverpool|
|November 30, 2019||Liverpool 2-1 Brighton|
|December 4, 2019||Liverpool 5-2 Everton|
|December 7, 2019||Bournemouth 0-3 Liverpool|
|December 14, 2019||Liverpool 2-0 Watford|
|December 26, 2019||Leicester 0-4 Liverpool|
|December 29, 2019||Liverpool 1-0 Wolves|
|January 2, 2020||Liverpool 2-0 Sheff Utd|
|January 11, 2020||Tottenham 0-1 Liverpool|
|January 19, 2020||Liverpool 2-0 Man Utd|
|January 23, 2020||Wolves 1-2 Liverpool|
|January 29, 2020||West Ham 0-2 Liverpool|
|February 1, 2020||Liverpool 4-0 Southampton|
|February 15, 2020||Norwich 0-1 Liverpool|
|February 24, 2020||Liverpool 3-2 West Ham|
During that earlier City run, nobody looked even in the same galaxy as Guardiola’s centurions. Until Liverpool stepped up under Klopp, at least.
After an incredible 17-game winning run (more of that shortly) came to an end in October 2019, Klopp’s men got straight back to business and won their next 18 on the spin, equalling the record for the most back to back Premier League wins set by City two seasons earlier.
There were some hairy moments in there – namely late winners at Aston Villa, Crystal Palace and Wolves – but also games where Liverpool utterly tore through their opponents, particularly in their Boxing Day 4-0 thrashing of then-second-placed Leicester in their own back yard.
Indeed, the final of these 18 wins, February 2020’s 3-2 victory over West Ham, made it a staggering 44 league games unbeaten for the Reds, while at that stage, the 27th game of their season, they had still only dropped two points.
Who Ended the Run?
Nigel Pearson’s Watford who, despite being relegated that season, enjoyed the highlight of their campaign when they thumped the eventual champions 3-0 at Vicarage Road on February 29, 2020.
What Happened Next?
The COVID-enforced three-month suspension of football from March to June 2020 extended Liverpool’s 30-year wait for a league title, but it was never really in doubt from the minute they eased past City themselves at Anfield the previous November.
They were slightly less consistent post-lockdown (by their standards, anyway), drawing and losing two each of their nine summer games, but the title was wrapped up and Liverpool went on to bank 99 points, one shy of City’s record.
3) Liverpool (March – October 2019) – 17 wins
Who Did They Beat?
|March 10, 2019||Liverpool 4-2 Burnley|
|March 17, 2019||Fulham 1-2 Liverpool|
|March 31, 2019||Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham|
|April 5, 2019||Southampton 1-3 Liverpool|
|April 14, 2019||Liverpool 2-0 Chelsea|
|April 21, 2019||Cardiff 0-2 Liverpool|
|April 26, 2019||Liverpool 5-0 Huddersfield|
|May 4, 2019||Newcastle 2-3 Liverpool|
|May 12, 2019||Liverpool 2-0 Wolves|
|August 9, 2019||Liverpool 4-1 Norwich|
|August 17, 2019||Southampton 1-2 Liverpool|
|August 24, 2019||Liverpool 3-1 Arsenal|
|August 31, 2019||Burnley 0-3 Liverpool|
|September 14, 2019||Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle|
|September 22, 2019||Chelsea 1-2 Liverpool|
|September 28, 2019||Sheff Utd 0-1 Liverpool|
|October 5, 2019||Liverpool 2-1 Leicester|
Shortly before that 18-game run came a 17-game run over two different seasons for Liverpool.
A 0-0 draw at Everton in March 2019 saw them lose top spot to City, and though they won all their remaining games, it wasn’t enough to dislodge Guardiola’s men, who matched them stride for stride.
But they went again at the start of the following season, setting the early pace with eight straight wins to start 2019-20, on the back of winning their final nine in 2018-19.
Who Ended the Run?
Manchester United, who held the Reds to a 1-1 draw at Old Trafford on October 20, 2019.
Marcus Rashford put Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men ahead, despite protestations that Victor Lindelof had fouled Divock Origi in the build-up, before VAR ruled out a Sadio Mane equaliser soon after.
But a late Adam Lallana leveller preserved Liverpool’s unbeaten start to their title-winning campaign, and proved the prelude to an even longer unbeaten run.
What Happened Next?
As you’ve already read, they just got stronger, going one better with an 18-game winning streak on their way to finally becoming Premier League champions.
4) Manchester City (February – August 2019) – 15 wins
Who Did They Beat?
|February 3, 2019||Man City 3-1 Arsenal|
|February 6, 2019||Everton 0-2 Man City|
|February 10, 2019||Man City 6-0 Chelsea|
|February 27, 2019||Man City 1-0 West Ham|
|March 2, 2019||Bournemouth 0-1 Man City|
|March 9, 2019||Man City 3-1 Watford|
|March 30, 2019||Fulham 0-2 Man City|
|April 3, 2019||Man City 2-0 Cardiff|
|April 14, 2019||Crystal Palace 1-3 Man City|
|April 20, 2019||Man City 1-0 Tottenham|
|April 24, 2019||Man Utd 0-2 Man City|
|April 28, 2019||Burnley 0-1 Man City|
|May 6, 2019||Man City 1-0 Leicester|
|May 12, 2019||Brighton 1-4 Man City|
|August 10, 2019||West Ham 0-5 Man City|
When Rafa Benitez’s Newcastle consigned City to a 2-1 defeat in January 2019, things looked pretty bleak for Guardiola. That night, they sat four points behind Liverpool having played a game more than them.
As it happened, to retain their title that year, they would have to be perfect for the remaining 14 games of 2018-19.
And perfect they were, as an incredible run which included a 6-0 thrashing of Chelsea, victories at Goodison Park and Old Trafford, gritty wins over Tottenham, Burnley and Leicester saw City win all of their last 14 league matches to oust Liverpool at the top by a single point.
They then kept that run going into the first game of 2019-20, demolishing West Ham, then under former title-winning City boss Manuel Pellegrini, 5-0 at the London Stadium.
Who Ended the Run?
Tottenham. Despite being battered for much of their 2-2 draw at the Etihad on August 17, 2019, Lucas Moura’s header rescued a point for Mauricio Pochettino’s side.
But they needed VAR’s help – Gabriel Jesus thought he had won it for City in added time, only for the newly-introduced technology to rule that the ball had brushed Aymeric Laporte’s hand in the build-up.
What Happened Next?
City simply couldn’t keep pace with the Liverpool juggernaut, and though they ended up finishing second fairly comfortably, their consistent inconsistency meant they still finished 18 points behind the champions.
5) Manchester City (December 2020 – March 2021) – 15 wins and counting…
Who Did They Beat?
|December 19, 2020||Southampton 0-1 Man City|
|December 26, 2020||Man City 2-0 Newcastle|
|January 3, 2021||Chelsea 1-3 Man City|
|January 13, 2021||Man City 1-0 Brighton|
|January 17, 2021||Man City 4-0 Crystal Palace|
|January 20, 2021||Man City 2-0 Aston Villa|
|January 26, 2021||West Brom 0-5 Man City|
|January 30, 2021||Man City 1-0 Sheff Utd|
|February 3, 2021||Burnley 0-2 Man City|
|February 7, 2021||Liverpool 1-4 Man City|
|February 13, 2021||Man City 3-0 Tottenham|
|February 17, 2021||Everton 1-3 Man City|
|February 21, 2021||Arsenal 0-1 Man City|
|February 27, 2021||Man City 2-1 West Ham|
|March 2, 2021||Man City 4-1 Wolves|
Again, in the face of adversity at the back end of 2020, Guardiola came up trumps.
City began the 2020-21 ‘COVID season’ in frustrating fashion – exhilarating one week, exasperating the next. A 1-1 draw at home to lowly West Brom on December 15, 2020 left them sixth, five points off top after 12 games.
But how they responded. Tuesday’s 4-1 win over Wolves means that, almost three months later, City had yet to drop another point since that West Brom draw, marking their 15th consecutive victory to take them 15 points clear at the summit. It was also their 21st successive triumph in all competitions.
The emergence of Ilkay Gundogan as a prolific finisher and Phil Foden’s coming-of-age season has certainly helped, with both integral to notable wins in this run such as the 3-1 stroll at Chelsea and the 4-1 drubbing of Liverpool at Anfield, a ground they had not perviously won at for 18 years.
Who Ended the Run?
Manchester United. Who else could it have been?
City looked totally unstoppable and were on course to break the records for both the most consecutive wins in top-flight football in England, and even the longest winning streak in football in Europe (Benfica – 29 wins, 1972-73).
Then Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side pitched up at their noisy neighbours on March 7, 2021 and, courtesy of a Bruno Fernandes penalty and a Luke Shaw strike, the Norwegian claimed his third win in as many visits to the Etihad as United boss.
What is the Longest Unbeaten Run in Premier League History?
Arsenal’s 49 consecutive undefeated league games from May 2003 to October 2004, including the entirety of their title winning 2003-04 season, remains a feat unmatched in Premier League history.
- Is Leeds United a Big Club?
- Why are Bayern Munich so Dominant and Successful? The Story of Uli Hoeneß
- Best Football Face Masks
DISCOVER: Best Gifts for Football Fans
- 💗【Creative 3D Visual Effect】Syomin Football 3D Illusion Lamp is a new creative night light. It comes with a 2D acrylic panel and a luminous base, and together they will creat a 3D Visual Effect. It looks like amazing 3D especially used in a dark environment.
- 🌈【Multicolor & Remote Control】The color of Syomin Football 3D night light can be changed by using remote control. There're 7 colors and 4 lighting modes for to choose from. You can choose different colors according to your mood and scene to make more fun.
- 🙂【Convenient & Safe】To get start, tear off the protective film on the surface of panel before using 3D Football night light and clean your finger print off. The light is soft, no glare and blinking, and it won't hurt children's eyes.
- 🍃【Energy-Saving】There are two ways of power supply, using USB or using three AA batteries, so there is no need to worry about sudden blackout or other issues. The energy consumption of the Football 3D night light is low, which is convenient for daily use.
- 🎁【Best Gift】Innovative appearance, exquisite design, Syomin Football 3D night light can be used as bedroom decoration and bedside lamp. Families and children will love this Football 3D lamp. This is the best birthday Christmas Thanksgiving present for kids age 3,4,5,6,7 year old.
- Be easy to use,be like real soccer !A powerful fan floats allows it to glide across most flat surfaces, like hard wood floor,tiles,carpet.Be a good parent-kid interaction toy as you can play with kids together.Provide time for enjoyment and exercise for all ages.
- Attractive toys: This ball toy is with colored LED lights that flashes colorful lights in the dark,children can play games at night and bring more fun because of the variety of colors. The flash lights makes kids more entertained and let them play a more challenging game in the dark for ,will be more exciting and more amazing.
- Best Gift: Color packaging - moderate size. Suitable indoors or outdoors, a good toy for your kids to use it in multi-player game.The best choice for children's Birthday gifts or Christmas gifts.
- Safe toy: Made of non-toxic plastic.foam edge, flexible, safe and not hurt foot.Be enough safe and nice so that kids won't hurt themselves or damage the furniture or the wall.
- Toy size: 7 x 7 x 2.5 in, Required 4 x AA batteries (not included) - For Age 3 year old +
- Material: Made of luxury cotton-soft,stretch, breathable,very comfortable to wear.No fading, machine washable, and hold up well in the laundry.
- ONE SIZE FITS MOST: Our size will suitable for most people,funny gifts for teenage boys/boyfriends/husband/son/uncle.
- Funny design: Funny saying knitting word 'Do Not Disturb I'm Watching Football or Rugby 'socks,Ideal present for people who like football or rugby !
- Various Colors Available:Our funny socks suitable for most men and women.All of the words are stitched directly into the socks rather than iron-on transfer, so it won't peel off. These Novelty and funny socks will make your friends giggle
- Perfect Gift:Buy it as a Funny gifts for your friends who are Football or rugby Lover,Xmas Gifts, birthday present, party favor, or keep them for yourself !
- AMAZING COUNTING FOOTBALL: Introducing the latest innovation in football, Smart Ball Kick up Counting Football with lights and sounds This amazing counting football allows you to challenge yourself and your friends to see who can achieve more tricks Use your feet, legs, knees, chest and shoulders to keep the Smart Ball from hitting the ground and it will count each time it makes contact with you.
- FEATURES LIGHTS AND SOUNDS: As you reach key milestones Smart Ball will speak words of encouragement to spur you on as you challenge yourself to keep the ball in the air, and for even more fun, the Smart Ball lights up each time it comes into contact with your body.
- CHALLENGE FRIENDS: Compete with your friends to see who can get closest to the magic 100 kick ups
- PERFECT GIFT FOR FOOTBALL FANS: Whether you are looking for a Birthday gift, Christmas gift or other event, the Smart Ball Kick Up Counting Football is the perfect gift for football fans aged 6 years and over
- PRACTISE: Great for practising your kick ups and freestyling skills
- Official THFC kids graphic T-shirt
- Large club crest print to front; small crest print to sleeve
- Garment Size (Chest): 2/3yrs 25"; 4/5yrs 27"; 6/7yrs 29"; 8/9yrs 32"; 10/11yrs 34"; 12/13yrs 36"
- 100% cotton, top quality T-shirt
- ❤Standard Size 5 Football(Diameter 21.5cm ) Special TPU Exterior Material: Resists abrasions and provides optimum feel. Great for soccer training and practicing your soccer skills. Quickly control the ball and precisely pass and shoot; great ball for a beginning or young athlete.
- ❤Premier Quality: High Rebound Butyl rubber bladder for excellent air and shape retention- 2 to 4 weeks.
- ❤Great Performance: Machined-stitched construction ensures soft touch and high durability. Traditional panel graphics design.
- ❤Packaged by nice bag especially for sport ball, a good gift for your son/grandson/daughter.
- ❤Intended use: for son, grandson, daughter as a birthday/thanksgiving day/holiday/new year/christmas gift.
- NO NASTY CHEMICALS: Our kids drinking bottle is BPA FREE & LFGB certified so you know your children are safe making the perfect football water bottle. The strong food-grade silicone ensures this kids drinks bottle is safe and a great football gift or boys birthday gift
- EVERYDAY I’M GUZZLIN’: Do your kids drink enough water? With a capacity of 500ml, up to 4 refills of this kids bottle is enough for their daily intake to be met. The flip-top spout makes the elefunkie childrens drinks bottle practical as well.
- FUNKY & FUNCTIONAL: Stunning football design you won’t find on another drinks bottles for kids. And when it’s all said and done, collapse it and put it away. Truly a unique gift for boys & girls and great as a birthday gift for boys
- DROP RESISTANT & LEAKPROOF: When did the last boys drinks bottle you bought lasted a whole school year? The elefunkie kids sport bottle is drop resistant up to 4ft making it ideal for sports and other fun activities
- ADD TO CART: Once you’re done, collapse, clip and go. All elefunkie water bottle for kids come with a carabiner so you’ll never lose it. So CLICK ADD TO CART and take advantage of our 30 day money back guarantee and give them the perfect boys gift
- ❤[3D Visual Football Lamp] Using a creative laser engraved optical acrylic plate,Football Night Light looks like a 3D etched line when lit at night and The-three dimensional illusion effect makes your room more unique and warm,helping you to sleep better.
- ❤[16-Color with Remote and 7-Color Touch Control] By acrylic light guide and the LED colorful source,Football night lamp can export a variety of dinosaur visual effects with a touch of the button on the base.With remote control,you can control the brightness and 16 colors you want.
- ❤[Dual-Power] Compatible with all USB interface,such as Laptop,Computer,USB Power Bank,USB Power Adaptor.and any other with USB Connector.Or use 3*AAA battery(Not included) .
- ❤ [Perfect Gift for Kids/Friends] High quality LED light is soft and harmless to children’s eyes.Simple and stylish design,suitable for Birthday,Anniversary,Housewarming,Graduation,Engagement,Velentines,Romantic time;It can be put in bedroom,child room,living room,bar,shop,cafe,restaurant etc.As decorative light ,and as best gift for your friends or children.
- ❤ [Guarantee] Please free feel to contact with our customers services team.Guarantee 100% refund or replacement if you are not happy with our 3D visual night light.
- Measure the speed of your kick! Hi-tech smart ball can measure kick speeds of up to 100 kph. Can you reach the max?
- Tells you your speed. Talking ball is a novel training aid. Great gift for footy fans ages 6 up
- Easy to use. Put the ball on the kick-off base, just one click and it’s time to kick! Ideal Gift
- Use on any surface. Rest the base on the ground in a garden, hall, field or on a beach
- High quality and great value. Tough enough for the hardest kicks. Offers outdoor fun for everyone
- WITH YOUR KIDS AS THEY GROW: Are you tired of replacing your kids drinking bottle after a few uses? Our collapsible water bottle is made with the highest grade silicone and is sure to withstand the roughest of play. Kick, throw, hit and roll, this bottle can take it all
- THE PERFECT BOREDOM BUSTER: Looking for the perfect football gifts for boys and girls to bust any lockdown boredom. No more nagging or stress, With our fun and funky kids bottle your kid will fall in love with drinking water. Drink, shrink, kick repeat
- READY TO EXPLORE: Say goodbye to wet and soggy bags with our leakproof kids water bottle! The innovative collapsible sports design of our boys water bottle can go from 550ml to 200ml easily, saving space and ensuring that your child is always hydrated
- SAFE FOR YOU AND YOUR KIDS: Your child's health is our highest priority! Our kids drinks bottle is certified BPA FREE, durable, 100% leak-proof and reduces daily plastic waste. Featuring a convenient Cleaning Brush to help you keep the spout in tip top condition and germ free
- BUY PEACE OF MIND: As parents with two kids under 7 years old we strive to bring only the best quality and safe products that we know will make a difference for you and your little star's life. We are sure that your child will absolutely love this reusable water bottle, if however, you are not satisfied with your purchase, let us know via the "Ask a question" section. We offer a 30 day money back guarantee