You might have come across the piece with a great sense of bemusement, given Celtic is a football club that plays in Glasgow, Scotland, and always has since it was founded in 1887.
Why, then, is there a debate about whether many of their supporters follow Scotland or Ireland at international level? And while we’re on their fans, what’s behind their nicknames of ‘Tims’ and ‘Bhoys’? And why is their name pronounced ‘Seltic’, rather than ‘Keltic’, as it is in other contexts?
Is Celtic Irish?
Firstly, no, they are Scottish, but it’s worth mentioning that one of the reasons for creating the club in 1887 was to help reduce the levels of poverty among the Irish population of Glasgow’s East End at the time.
Celtic were also founded by an Irishman, Brother Walfrid, who chose the name ‘Celtic’ to symbolise the merging of Irish and Scottish identities, while a Celtic (pronounced ‘Keltic’) cross and a four-leaf clover have each featured on iterations of the club’s badge at some point. Plus, their green and white colours go hand-in-hand with Ireland.
There’s also the fact that, when Celtic Park opened in 1892, the first sod of turf laid had been imported from Donegal, Ireland, and had shamrocks planted in it by Irish republican leader Michael Davitt, as well as their lengthy list of former Irish or Northern Irish players and managers, including Robbie and Roy Keane, Brendan Rodgers, Martin O’Neill, Neil Lennon and their first manager, Newry-born Willie Maley.
As for which international team their fans follow, this probably stems from the size of Celtic’s Irish fan base, and less from Scottish Celtic supporters choosing Ireland over Scotland.
The Association of Irish Celtic Supporters Clubs lists 44 different official supporters clubs on its website, while Brian McGuirk, author of ‘Celtic FC: The Ireland Connection’, described Celtic as ‘more than a football club’ for Irishmen, adding: “Celtic is our legacy, left to us by the courage and vision of Irish men like Brother Walfrid, John Glass and Pat Welsh.”
From sifting through forums and message-boards, it appears there are some Scottish Celtic fans who follow Ireland first, though this seems to often stem from them having their own Irish heritage, their moving to Ireland at some point in their life, or even just a sense of disenfranchisement with the Scottish national team.
Why is ‘Celtic’ Pronounced ‘Seltic’?
Initially, the English language adopted the word ‘Celtic’ from the French in the 17th century, pronouncing it with a soft C (i.e. ‘Seltic’).
But historians later went as far back as the original Latin ‘Celtae,’ which the people of Gaul, pronounced with a hard C (i.e. ‘Keltic’).
So, when using the word to refer to more ancient history and culture, the word has tended to be pronounced ‘Keltic’, but for more modern connotations, we have generally followed the French (e.g. Celtic Football Club, Boston Celtics – both pronounced with a soft C).
Why are Celtic Called ‘The Bhoys’?
Another nod to their Irish heritage, a soft ‘h’ was thought to be added to the word ‘boy’ to phonetically represent the ‘Irishness’ of the word.
Indeed, the wider use of this additional ‘h’ is believed to stemmed from a trend during the Victorian era, when people added a ‘h’ to proper nouns to help them appear Gaelic.
And while ‘Bhoy’ seemed to first come into prominence in New York in the 1840s, it originated from the Irish pronunciation of ‘boy’, with connotations leaning more towards a rowdy member of the working-class. It should also be noted that the female equivalent was not ‘Ghirl’, but ‘Ghal’.
From their earliest days, Celtic merchandise and such would include references to ‘The Bould Bhoys’ – likely due to the strength of following from their Irish contingent – and the term has just stuck ever since.
Why are Celtic Fans Called ‘Tims’?
A ‘Tim’ is a self-referential, if less frequently-used term nowadays adopted by Celtic fans, its origin thought to be from a Catholic gang from Calton, Glasgow in the early 1900s called the ‘Tim Malloys’, supposedly after the leader of the gang.
Others believe ‘Tim Malloys’ to have been rhyming slang for ‘Bhoys’, while some Rangers fans may also use the term to apply to Catholics, even if ‘Tims’ has ostensibly little, if anything to do with religion of any sort.
- Is Leeds United a Big Club?
- Why are Bayern Munich so Dominant and Successful? The Story of Uli Hoeneß
- Best Football Face Masks
DISCOVER: Best Gifts for Football Fans
- 💗【Creative 3D Visual Effect】Syomin Football 3D Illusion Lamp is a new creative night light. It comes with a 2D acrylic panel and a luminous base, and together they will creat a 3D Visual Effect. It looks like amazing 3D especially used in a dark environment.
- 🌈【Multicolor & Remote Control】The color of Syomin Football 3D night light can be changed by using remote control. There're 7 colors and 4 lighting modes for to choose from. You can choose different colors according to your mood and scene to make more fun.
- 🙂【Convenient & Safe】To get start, tear off the protective film on the surface of panel before using 3D Football night light and clean your finger print off. The light is soft, no glare and blinking, and it won't hurt children's eyes.
- 🍃【Energy-Saving】There are two ways of power supply, using USB or using three AA batteries, so there is no need to worry about sudden blackout or other issues. The energy consumption of the Football 3D night light is low, which is convenient for daily use.
- 🎁【Best Gift】Innovative appearance, exquisite design, Syomin Football 3D night light can be used as bedroom decoration and bedside lamp. Families and children will love this Football 3D lamp. This is the best birthday Christmas Thanksgiving present for kids age 3,4,5,6,7 year old.
- Be easy to use,be like real soccer !A powerful fan floats allows it to glide across most flat surfaces, like hard wood floor,tiles,carpet.Be a good parent-kid interaction toy as you can play with kids together.Provide time for enjoyment and exercise for all ages.
- Attractive toys: This ball toy is with colored LED lights that flashes colorful lights in the dark,children can play games at night and bring more fun because of the variety of colors. The flash lights makes kids more entertained and let them play a more challenging game in the dark for ,will be more exciting and more amazing.
- Best Gift: Color packaging - moderate size. Suitable indoors or outdoors, a good toy for your kids to use it in multi-player game.The best choice for children's Birthday gifts or Christmas gifts.
- Safe toy: Made of non-toxic plastic.foam edge, flexible, safe and not hurt foot.Be enough safe and nice so that kids won't hurt themselves or damage the furniture or the wall.
- Toy size: 7 x 7 x 2.5 in, Required 4 x AA batteries (not included) - For Age 3 year old +
- Material: Made of luxury cotton-soft,stretch, breathable,very comfortable to wear.No fading, machine washable, and hold up well in the laundry.
- ONE SIZE FITS MOST: Our size will suitable for most people,funny gifts for teenage boys/boyfriends/husband/son/uncle.
- Funny design: Funny saying knitting word 'Do Not Disturb I'm Watching Football or Rugby 'socks,Ideal present for people who like football or rugby !
- Various Colors Available:Our funny socks suitable for most men and women.All of the words are stitched directly into the socks rather than iron-on transfer, so it won't peel off. These Novelty and funny socks will make your friends giggle
- Perfect Gift:Buy it as a Funny gifts for your friends who are Football or rugby Lover,Xmas Gifts, birthday present, party favor, or keep them for yourself !
- AMAZING COUNTING FOOTBALL: Introducing the latest innovation in football, Smart Ball Kick up Counting Football with lights and sounds This amazing counting football allows you to challenge yourself and your friends to see who can achieve more tricks Use your feet, legs, knees, chest and shoulders to keep the Smart Ball from hitting the ground and it will count each time it makes contact with you.
- FEATURES LIGHTS AND SOUNDS: As you reach key milestones Smart Ball will speak words of encouragement to spur you on as you challenge yourself to keep the ball in the air, and for even more fun, the Smart Ball lights up each time it comes into contact with your body.
- CHALLENGE FRIENDS: Compete with your friends to see who can get closest to the magic 100 kick ups
- PERFECT GIFT FOR FOOTBALL FANS: Whether you are looking for a Birthday gift, Christmas gift or other event, the Smart Ball Kick Up Counting Football is the perfect gift for football fans aged 6 years and over
- PRACTISE: Great for practising your kick ups and freestyling skills
- Official THFC kids graphic T-shirt
- Large club crest print to front; small crest print to sleeve
- Garment Size (Chest): 2/3yrs 25"; 4/5yrs 27"; 6/7yrs 29"; 8/9yrs 32"; 10/11yrs 34"; 12/13yrs 36"
- 100% cotton, top quality T-shirt
- ❤Standard Size 5 Football(Diameter 21.5cm ) Special TPU Exterior Material: Resists abrasions and provides optimum feel. Great for soccer training and practicing your soccer skills. Quickly control the ball and precisely pass and shoot; great ball for a beginning or young athlete.
- ❤Premier Quality: High Rebound Butyl rubber bladder for excellent air and shape retention- 2 to 4 weeks.
- ❤Great Performance: Machined-stitched construction ensures soft touch and high durability. Traditional panel graphics design.
- ❤Packaged by nice bag especially for sport ball, a good gift for your son/grandson/daughter.
- ❤Intended use: for son, grandson, daughter as a birthday/thanksgiving day/holiday/new year/christmas gift.
- NO NASTY CHEMICALS: Our kids drinking bottle is BPA FREE & LFGB certified so you know your children are safe making the perfect football water bottle. The strong food-grade silicone ensures this kids drinks bottle is safe and a great football gift or boys birthday gift
- EVERYDAY I’M GUZZLIN’: Do your kids drink enough water? With a capacity of 500ml, up to 4 refills of this kids bottle is enough for their daily intake to be met. The flip-top spout makes the elefunkie childrens drinks bottle practical as well.
- FUNKY & FUNCTIONAL: Stunning football design you won’t find on another drinks bottles for kids. And when it’s all said and done, collapse it and put it away. Truly a unique gift for boys & girls and great as a birthday gift for boys
- DROP RESISTANT & LEAKPROOF: When did the last boys drinks bottle you bought lasted a whole school year? The elefunkie kids sport bottle is drop resistant up to 4ft making it ideal for sports and other fun activities
- ADD TO CART: Once you’re done, collapse, clip and go. All elefunkie water bottle for kids come with a carabiner so you’ll never lose it. So CLICK ADD TO CART and take advantage of our 30 day money back guarantee and give them the perfect boys gift
- ❤[3D Visual Football Lamp] Using a creative laser engraved optical acrylic plate,Football Night Light looks like a 3D etched line when lit at night and The-three dimensional illusion effect makes your room more unique and warm,helping you to sleep better.
- ❤[16-Color with Remote and 7-Color Touch Control] By acrylic light guide and the LED colorful source,Football night lamp can export a variety of dinosaur visual effects with a touch of the button on the base.With remote control,you can control the brightness and 16 colors you want.
- ❤[Dual-Power] Compatible with all USB interface,such as Laptop,Computer,USB Power Bank,USB Power Adaptor.and any other with USB Connector.Or use 3*AAA battery(Not included) .
- ❤ [Perfect Gift for Kids/Friends] High quality LED light is soft and harmless to children’s eyes.Simple and stylish design,suitable for Birthday,Anniversary,Housewarming,Graduation,Engagement,Velentines,Romantic time;It can be put in bedroom,child room,living room,bar,shop,cafe,restaurant etc.As decorative light ,and as best gift for your friends or children.
- ❤ [Guarantee] Please free feel to contact with our customers services team.Guarantee 100% refund or replacement if you are not happy with our 3D visual night light.
- Measure the speed of your kick! Hi-tech smart ball can measure kick speeds of up to 100 kph. Can you reach the max?
- Tells you your speed. Talking ball is a novel training aid. Great gift for footy fans ages 6 up
- Easy to use. Put the ball on the kick-off base, just one click and it’s time to kick! Ideal Gift
- Use on any surface. Rest the base on the ground in a garden, hall, field or on a beach
- High quality and great value. Tough enough for the hardest kicks. Offers outdoor fun for everyone
- WITH YOUR KIDS AS THEY GROW: Are you tired of replacing your kids drinking bottle after a few uses? Our collapsible water bottle is made with the highest grade silicone and is sure to withstand the roughest of play. Kick, throw, hit and roll, this bottle can take it all
- THE PERFECT BOREDOM BUSTER: Looking for the perfect football gifts for boys and girls to bust any lockdown boredom. No more nagging or stress, With our fun and funky kids bottle your kid will fall in love with drinking water. Drink, shrink, kick repeat
- READY TO EXPLORE: Say goodbye to wet and soggy bags with our leakproof kids water bottle! The innovative collapsible sports design of our boys water bottle can go from 550ml to 200ml easily, saving space and ensuring that your child is always hydrated
- SAFE FOR YOU AND YOUR KIDS: Your child's health is our highest priority! Our kids drinks bottle is certified BPA FREE, durable, 100% leak-proof and reduces daily plastic waste. Featuring a convenient Cleaning Brush to help you keep the spout in tip top condition and germ free
- BUY PEACE OF MIND: As parents with two kids under 7 years old we strive to bring only the best quality and safe products that we know will make a difference for you and your little star's life. We are sure that your child will absolutely love this reusable water bottle, if however, you are not satisfied with your purchase, let us know via the "Ask a question" section. We offer a 30 day money back guarantee